The Neem tree is a popular medicinal herb that has been part of traditional remedies that date back almost 5000 years. Also known in Dabgani as “Neemsa” which means the ‘tree of the forty cures’. the neem tree is a really good example of how nature holds both the problem and the cure. It’s home to more than 130 different biologically active compounds! No wonder it’s such an effective anti-Viral , anti – Fungal and anti-bacterial, along with being a powerful immuno-stimulant. Effective benefits include : purify the blood, prevent damage caused by free radicals in the body, remove toxins, treat insect bites and ulcers. Neem Leaves anti-bacterial properties which is why it works wonders on infections, burns and any kind of skin problems. It destroys the bacteria that causes infections, stimulates the immune system and encourages rapid healing.
Here are some excellent ways in which we use neem leaves in the village :
* Anti – Viral and Anti – fungal : Boil the leaves or put leaves in boiling water (100 degrees) until water turns greenish . Pour hot mixture into a pot or bowl – place it between your legs on a stool and cover your self up with a blanket while keeping your head down facing the steam . Take deep breath/ open your mouth to inhale .
You can do this morning and evening for 10mins or above depending on your capabilities.
Practices such as the inhalation of steam from boiled neem leaves, have for decades, proven to help sooth flus and heal coughs, fevers and to help fight off congestion, runny nose, and sneezing symptoms of a cold and some respiratory illnesses in Africa .
* Wound Healer : a paste out of the neem leaves and dab it on your wounds or insect bites a few times a day till it heals.
* Goodbye dandruff: Boil a bunch of neem leaves till the water turns green, allow it to cool. After washing your hair with shampoo, cleanse it with this water.
* Eye Trouble: Boil some neem leaves, let the water cool completely and then use it to wash your eyes. This will help any kind of irritation, tiredness or redness.
* Treat that zit: Grind a few neem leaves, make a paste and apply it daily till the acne dries out. The paste also helps any kind of eruptions, dark spots and chronic ulcers.
* Ear ailments: Blend some neem leaves and add some honey to it. Use a few drops of this mix to treat any ear boils.
* Other skin disorders: Turmeric combined with a paste of neem leaves can also be used for itching, eczema, ring worms and some mild skin diseases.
* Boost immunity: Crush some neem leaves and take them with a glass of water to increase your immunity.(the taste is bitter)